Thursday, October 18, 2018

The County Clerk is responsible for a wide range of duties as specified by Kansas State Statutes:

  • Serves as Secretary to the Board of County Commissioners; attends Commissioner meetings; prepares and posts agendas and keeps meeting minutes; maintains proceedings of Commissioners' meeting, including all contracts and agreements entered into by the County.
  • Receives and compiles all budgets submitted by County entities, the city, and the school district; presents budget to County Commissioners for consideration and revisions;
  • Compiles, calculates and prepares tax levies;
  • Prepares real estate, personal property and state assessed tax roll and certifies to County Treasurer;
  • Prepares the County's Annual Financial Report and Quarterly Financial Reports;
  • Accumulates and files a bond indebtedness report for all taxing entities in the county;
  • Carries out all elections and certifies to the Secretary of State; maintains voter database; accepts filings for public office; keeps financial statements of expenses for county, city, school district candidates;
  • Provides Accounts Payable and Payroll functions for all County departments; receives all claims filed against the County;
  • Administers the County employee benefits program, including health insurance and retirement plans;
  • Maintains personnel records, job descriptions and the County Policy Manual;
  • Retrieves and balances Motor Vehicle Tax then interfaces distributions to County Treasurer;
  • Serves as the County Freedom of Information Officer;
  • Maintains inventories and fixed assets;
  • Issues Cereal Malt Beverage Licenses to establishments outside city limits;
  • Issues Kansas Wildlife and Park permits;
Clerk's Office/Elections Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Where do I register to vote:
A. The County Clerk's office

Q. Where can I buy a hunting or fishing license?
A. The County Clerk's office / Ampride / Wildlife & Parks

Q. What information do I need to file my Homestead Return and my Food Sales Tax Return?
A. Total household income, including Social Security, and a copy of tax statement

Q. How do I find out who owns a certain piece of property?
A. Bring the legal description or address to the Appraiser’s office.

Q. Who do I talk to about the valuation of my property?
A. The Appraiser’s office.

Q. Who do I talk to concerning how levies are set?
A. The County Clerk’s office.

Q. Do we have county zoning?
A. No

Q. Where do I get a road-crossing permit?
A. All road-crossing permits can be picked up at the Road and Bridge Office located at 113 N Frontage Road.

Q. Where do I find out what it costs to file a document?
A. Documents are filed in either the Register of Deeds office or the District Court Clerks office.

Q. Where do I find out what my traffic ticket costs or my court date?
A. The District Court Clerks office.

Q. Where do get a passport?
A. The District Court Clerks office.

Q. Where do I get a marriage license?
A. The District Court Clerks office.

County Clerk
Sandy Barton, County Clerk
Vanessa Trujillo, Deputy Clerk
8-12, 1-5, Monday - Friday
Contact Information
Physical Address
201 N Main St
Johnson, KS 67855
Mailing Address
PO Box 190
Johnson, KS 67855
Phone (620) 492-2140
Fax (620) 492-1745

Event Calendar
No events to display.