Sunday, June 24, 2018

The County Clerk is responsible for a wide range of duties as specified by Kansas State Statutes:

  • Serves as Secretary to the Board of County Commissioners; attends Commissioner meetings; prepares and posts agendas and keeps meeting minutes; maintains proceedings of Commissioners' meeting, including all contracts and agreements entered into by the County.
  • Receives and compiles all budgets submitted by County entities, the city, and the school district; presents budget to County Commissioners for consideration and revisions;
  • Compiles, calculates and prepares tax levies;
  • Prepares real estate, personal property and state assessed tax roll and certifies to County Treasurer;
  • Prepares the County's Annual Financial Report and Quarterly Financial Reports;
  • Accumulates and files a bond indebtedness report for all taxing entities in the county;
  • Carries out all elections and certifies to the Secretary of State; maintains voter database; accepts filings for public office; keeps financial statements of expenses for county, city, school district candidates;
  • Provides Accounts Payable and Payroll functions for all County departments; receives all claims filed against the County;
  • Administers the County employee benefits program, including health insurance and retirement plans;
  • Maintains personnel records, job descriptions and the County Policy Manual;
  • Retrieves and balances Motor Vehicle Tax then interfaces distributions to County Treasurer;
  • Serves as the County Freedom of Information Officer;
  • Maintains inventories and fixed assets;
  • Issues Cereal Malt Beverage Licenses to establishments outside city limits;
  • Issues Kansas Wildlife and Park permits;
Clerk's Office/Elections Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Where do I register to vote:
A. The County Clerk's office

Q. Where can I buy a hunting or fishing license?
A. The County Clerk's office / Ampride / Wildlife & Parks

Q. What information do I need to file my Homestead Return and my Food Sales Tax Return?
A. Total household income, including Social Security, and a copy of tax statement

Q. How do I find out who owns a certain piece of property?
A. Bring the legal description or address to the Appraiser’s office.

Q. Who do I talk to about the valuation of my property?
A. The Appraiser’s office.

Q. Who do I talk to concerning how levies are set?
A. The County Clerk’s office.

Q. Do we have county zoning?
A. No

Q. Where do I get a road-crossing permit?
A. All road-crossing permits can be picked up at the Road and Bridge Office located at 113 N Frontage Road.

Q. Where do I find out what it costs to file a document?
A. Documents are filed in either the Register of Deeds office or the District Court Clerks office.

Q. Where do I find out what my traffic ticket costs or my court date?
A. The District Court Clerks office.

Q. Where do get a passport?
A. The District Court Clerks office.

Q. Where do I get a marriage license?
A. The District Court Clerks office.

County Clerk
Sandy Barton, County Clerk
Vanessa Trujillo, Deputy Clerk
8-12, 1-5, Monday - Friday
Contact Information
Physical Address
201 N Main St
Johnson, KS 67855
Mailing Address
PO Box 190
Johnson, KS 67855
Phone (620) 492-2140
Fax (620) 492-1745

Voter Registration

Register to Vote



This notice covers persons who have applied to register to vote and have not yet provided proof of

citizenship. Due to recent court rulings, if you have applied to register to vote at a Kansas Division of

Motor Vehicles office or if you have applied to register to vote using the “Federal Form” voter

registration application (as opposed to the standard ‘state form’) and have not yet provided proof of

citizenship, you are registered to vote unless you receive official notice stating otherwise. Your

name will appear on the poll book for your voting location and you will be given a standard ballot.

There is nothing further you need to provide unless and until you receive further notice.

If you have questions concerning your eligibility or this notice you may contact your local county

election office or the Secretary of State’s office at (800) 262-8683.

Advance Voting Application

Permanent Advance Voting Application  


Event Calendar
2018 Primary Filings
Start Date/Time: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 11:00 AM
End Date/Time: Tuesday, August 07, 2018 11:30 AM
Recurring Event: One time event
Importance: Normal Priority

2018 Primary Filings

Grady Cook - Dist. #1 Commissioner - Incumbent - Republican

Jason Stewart - Sheriff - Incumbent - Republican

Chad Harmon Sheriff - Republican

Joel Nicholas - Hospital Trustee Pos. #1

Gary Kendrick - Hospital Trustee Pos. #5

Created by County Clerk On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 10:41 AM